Do you feel bombarded with numerous tasks, distractions, and emotions?
An abundance of work and distractions flood across our lives every single day. This is the reality that we faces in this swiftly-paced modern society. However, this same modern society has made it easier than ever for you to seek and receive effective support and care for mental well-being issues through digital and online-based therapy.
One therapeutical form that is currently gaining popularity is the “Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing” or “EMDR”. It is known specifically for its success in healing traumatic and emotional struggles and today, it is available online. This blog post presents a well-researched overview that explores how online EMDR therapy works, the benefits you can receive, and other significant traits.
Understanding EMDR Therapy
EMDR therapy, at its core, is a specialised form of talking therapy that was developed in the 1980s by Francine Shapiro (Luber and Shapiro, 2009). The main purpose of EMDR is to help individuals cope with distressing memories and traumas, which leads to healing and reduced emotional pain. EMDR combines talking therapy with other helpful techniques, including a series of eye movements, sounds, or taps (Gainer et al., 2020).
EMDR therapy often takes place face-to-face, either online or in the real-world. A therapist guides clients through the process of identifying traumatic memories, working through them, and finding effective ways to manage the corresponding emotions. This process of discover and resolution of past traumas forms the core principles of EMDR therapy.
For more in-depth information about EMDR therapy and its benefits, you can read our blog post titled “What is EMDR Therapy?”
Online EMDR Therapy: Does It Work?
Yes, we understand, you might wonder how well does online EMDR therapy work out? A question that often arises is whether online EMDR therapy is as helpful as in-person sessions. Both research studies and experiences shared by professionals and clients affirm that online EMDR therapy can indeed be highly helpful and effective if it is carried out under a professional and properly planned out environment. For example, Fisher (2021) has uncovered that with certain adaptations to modern technology, remote EMDR therapeutical sessions could heal both adults and children effectively.
Advantages of Online EMDR Therapy
People just like you have experienced countless benefits all over the world due to online EMDR therapy. These benefits can be classified under four key groups:
- Easy Access: Online EMDR therapy removes geographical barriers, making professional help available to individuals regardless of their location. People living in remote areas or facing mobility challenges can now access specialised EMDR therapists without the need to travel long distances.
- Comfort and Privacy: Online therapy provides a safe and private space for clients to openly discuss their traumas and emotions. Feeling secure in this environment helps people communicate more openly and feel more engaged in the therapeutic process.
- Familiar Surroundings: Engaging in therapy from the comfort of one’s own familiar surroundings can reduce stress and anxiety, leading to a smoother and more comfortable therapeutic experience.
- Therapist’s Skills and Technology: Successful online EMDR therapy requires therapists to be proficient in conducting virtual sessions and to have the necessary technological tools. Experienced therapists can seamlessly adapt the traditional EMDR approach for online use, ensuring a productive therapeutic journey.
Challenges and Considerations
Despite the many advantages, online EMDR therapy does come with certain challenges that need to be considered:
- Internet Reliability: A stable internet connection is essential for uninterrupted therapy sessions. Technical issues or poor internet connectivity may hinder the therapeutic process, causing disruptions and affecting the overall experience.
- Missing Non-Verbal Cues: Online therapy might limit the therapist’s ability to fully interpret non-verbal cues, such as facial expressions and body language.
- Complexity of Trauma: Online EMDR therapy may not be the most suitable option for individuals dealing with complex traumas or dissociative disorders. In such cases, in-person therapy might offer better support and assistance.
With the progression of time and societies adopting cutting-edge technology, online EMDR has been utilised by therapists and clients to seek enhanced mental well-being and recover from traumatic experiences and memories. However, when deciding whether to opt for a fully online form of EMDR therapy or an in-person session, the complexity of the trauma should be considered.
If you are considering EMDR therapy, whether online or in-person, take the first step towards healing and personal growth with the experienced team at Light Mind Counselling. Reach out to us today to schedule a consultation and discover how EMDR therapy can positively impact your life. Remember, investing in your mental well-being is an investment in your future happiness and overall health. Don’t hesitate to seek the support you truly deserve!Book an appointment